The 56 things to do in Paternoster
- BUY a freshly-caught SNOEK at the fish market and throw it straight on the braai with real butter, lemon juice, garlic & apricot jam.
- VISIT the Cape Columbine LIGHTHOUSE. Built only in 1936, it was the last manned lighthouse constructed, and it rests on a windswept coastline within the Columbine Nature Reserve, just six kilometres outside of the fishing village. Open Mon to Fri (excl. public holidays) 10am – 3pm.
- EXPLORE the surrounding area with an informative and scenic BEACH BUGGY ride with local aficionado Deon Cell: 072 402 1829 Email:
- EAT at WOLFGAT voted the ‘Best Restaurant of the Year 2019’ by the World Restaurant Awards and experience a taste adventure with seasonally foraged Strandveld (only found on this coast line) dishes prepared and styled with flair by internationally renowned chef Kobus van der Merwe. Bookings can only made online https://www.wolfgat.co.za/
- PACK a backpack and head up Langstrand for an early morning sunrise beach walk towards the Groot Paternoster Nature Reserve, approximately 7kms. *You might spot some dolphins!
6. PICK-UP a ciabatta straight from the oven, home-made chicken pies, a take-away cappuccino, freshly prepared deli meals, organic veggies or other goodies from THE PATERNOSTER XPRESSTel: 022 752 2627 *Also great for any necessities like toothpaste, ice and milk.
8. INDULGE in a hearty breakfast & cappuccino or delectable cake at MONDVOL with friendly service and good food in a country setting. Tel: 073 939 0186
10. SPOT a Whale or three. The calm and protective St. Martins Bay is the perfect nursery for females to have their calves and often huge pods can be seen from Bek Bay and the Main Paternoster Beach.
11. ROMANCE the person in your life and order a picnic basket from Dee to take to BEKBAAI BEACH while you watch the Sunset over the rocks & ocean Cell: 0633042237 E-mail: /">
12. DIP into luscious local oysters & mussels and other deliciousness at the quirky and oh so cool NOISY OYSTER. Bookings are essential Tel: 022 752 2196
14. IMMERSE yourself in art, beauty and culture as you wander through the ART SHED at The Paternoster Crayfish Wharf. Meet the creative artists at work and maybe take a little something of the magic of Paternoster art home.
15. BRAAI at Tietiesbaai! Pack your cooler, braai grid and head to the beautiful rugged Tietiesbaai in the CAPE COLUMBINE NATURE RESERVE for a lekker braai. (Entry into nature reserve costs approximately R15 per person)
16. FORGET about time as you build a carefully planned sandcastle with the kids, family or friends and watch it wash away as the tide comes in.
17. PADDLE out between the rocks to see visiting seabirds, penguins and see Paternoster from a different angle with KAYAK PATERNOSTER Tel: 083 795 4198 (Departure point from Paternoster Crayfish Wharf)
18. EAT tasty & super fresh take-away Vis & Tjips at ON THE ROCKS at the Fish Market complex on the main beach Tel: 083 988 1380
19. BUY anything including hardware, gas, antiques, fishing gear and flip flops at the general dealer THE PATERNOSTER TRADING POST Tel: 084 510 6503
20. TRY out the yummy Burgers or Seafood at the iconic Red-Roofed VOORSTRANDT RESTAURANT while watching your kids play right on the Paternoster Beach front Tel: 022 752 2038
22. POP-IN at OEP VE KOEP – Die Winkel op Paternoster for West Coast produce, wine and more. This is also the sister restaurant to Wolfgat and chef Adel Hughes serves up a tasty and unique strandveld menu daily Tel: 022 752 2105
24. EXPERIENCE a full-on sensory meal with a view at LEETO. Try the Risotto & some bubbly – you won’t be sorry. Located at Strandloper Ocean Boutique Hotel Tel: 060 927 0403
25. PICK UP some traditional ‘staatmaker’ jams or unusual finds like Black Fig & Black Pepper jam, Funky Ouma salty tins, cotton carpet slippers and indulging essential oils/diffusers to fill up your senses. This and more at JEM & PANTOFFELS. Tel: 082 783 1808
26. POP IN to LILY’S for a delicious take-away Truth Coffee, yummy Pasteis de Nata and savoury tarts or find a unique gift for someone special. Hours: Weds – Sun 8am to 3pm (opposite Stay in Paternoster office)
27. CREATE a unique leather item for yourself or a gift at a MATTAT LEATHER workshop at The Paternoster Crayfish Wharf contact Erika Cell: 082 853 9472 email:
28. ENJOY a chilled glass of wine, a picture perfect view and wonderfully tasty meals prepared by chef Jaco Kruger at GAATJIE Tel: 022 752 2242
29. SELECT some chilli sauces, fudge, Turkish jewellery or eclectic décor items at TUMBLEWEED contact Tel: 084 240 0630 (now opposite Stay in Paternoster office)
30. HIT the Gin bar at BENGUELA BLUE and order a tapas platter to share Cell: 079 969 6452
31. CRACK open an ice-cold Paternoster Pilsner, our very own local artisanal brew, serving refreshing Muti G&T’s on tap with trimmings, the three Paternoster Beers (Pilsner, Weiss & Honey Porter), an alcohol-free sparking Honey & Rooibos and pizza, if you feel like a snack! Email:
33. RELAX at BLIKKIE PIZZERIA, take a sip of your Darling slow beer, enjoy a delicious wood-fired pizza and be sure to order your soft serve ice cream for dessert Tel: 079 598 8616 *Great view, kids play area and TV for the big game!
34. DAWDLE through the SHELL SHOP at the Paternoster Hotel for perfect sea-side souvenirs and gifts. TEL: 022 752 2703
35. ORDER a home-style breakfast, lunch or dinner with a fantastic view in the middle of the village at the RESTAURANT at THE PATERNOSTER LODGE Tel: 022 752 2023
36. LISTEN out for the eerie and nostalgic FOGHORN on misty mornings floating across from the Cape Columbine Lighthouse.
37. SATISFY your craving for fresh & delicious sushi at DE SEE KAT – the view is also a winner. Tel: 072 343 9793 (Moved to the Crayfish Wharf)
38. BROWSE through the quirky and contemporary treasures of jewellery, décor, scarves and much more at MANEKI
39. INDULGE in the ultimate Strandloper Ocean luxury. Spoil yourself and your partner with a selection of body treatments in the peaceful space of our Elements Wellness Suite. All treatments are subject to availability. Tel: 083 654 3001 email:
41. DIG IN to a decadent Waffle and scrummy milkshake from WAFFLE WHARF located at the Paternoster Crayfish Wharf. Tel: 064 426 0146
42.GET ENERGISED and hike in and around Paternoster, spot tortoises and birds with tour guide and local Bruce. Cell: 082 488 0680
43. WATCH the Rugby with your favourite tipple and a wood-fired pizza at WHALES RIB at The Crayfish Wharf. Tel: 064 426 0146
44. FIND a quiet spot and do some serious bird-watching with a hopeful heart to spot the endangered Black Oystercatcher and more than 350 other species of bird life found on the West Coast
45. TAKE a seat at the legendary PATERNOSTER HOTEL, centrally located for great stoep-sitting while watching the village and its people go by. Tel: 022 752 2703
46. HAVE A DRINK at the infamous PANTY BAR, meet locals and gawk at the interesting, ahem, displays. Definitely a favourite ‘I was here’ Insta-worthy moment.
47. ENJOY a fun evening of Karaoke and the beach bar vibe at SEEKOMBUIS Tel: 072 258 9041
48. GET your favourite Granadilla fruit lolly and some handmade clothes made of natural and fabulous fabrics at ANCIENT SPIRIT / www.ancientspirit.co.za
49. SPOIL yourself with some authentic West Coast Street food, such as Smoorsnoek, Vetkoek & Curry Mince, Tripe & Trotters, Oxtail or Fish Cakes at OUMA SE KOMBUIS situated in the main road, next to Tumbleweed. Tel: 084 800 1991
50. BUY your Bokkom-fix at the Fish Market and take your time to carefully peel and taste the West Coast on your tongue.
51. WATCH in total awe how the moon rises over the bay and be reminded of how beautifully the universe was created and how blessed we all are.
52. LOCAL is LEKKER, so get your hands on some traditional pickled fish & hot cross buns to enjoy at Easter.
53. ASSIST the local fishermen to drag their HARVEST of HARDERS to shore and make sure you also have a few to braai later.
54. DANCE it out with Line Dancing at the Paternoster Hotel. All Welcome. Tues 9 – 10am, Thurs 11am – 12pm & Saturday 10 – 11am. Visitors R100 per class. Contact Sally-Jo 078 391 1407.
55. BRIBE or beg one of the local Tannies to share some traditional home-made KOEKSISTERS with you. If you haven’t tasted it, you haven’t lived.
56. ENJOY the view, the vibe, the fab food and on weekends live Music at The Hungry Monk & Rock Lobster Pub located at the Crayfish Wharf.
LAST but not least… to start ticking off all your Paternoster Bucket List items you will need somewhere fantastic to stay. Book online now at www.stayinpaternoster.co.za, drop us an email at or call us on 022 752 2048 or 083 204 1051.
A few last insider top tips…
*Always book for Restaurants & Experiences in advance to avoid disappointment.
*Take along a jacket, the weather on the coast changes all the time and we can experience 4 seasons in one day.
*Keep your Camera/smart phone full charged to take advantage of all the beauty.
*Make sure you are careful with your valuables – out of sight is the best policy to limit temptation.
*Have fun & make memories to remember with family & friends, these are the things that count!