The Ultimate Paternoster Bucket List
The Top 50 things to do in Paternoster
- GRAB a cup of delicious Truth coffee, a Pasteis de Nata and soak up the cosy vibe at JUNK & DISORDERLYopposite the Stay in Paternoster office. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. *Be tempted by the variety of Charcuterie produce and freshly baked sour dough bread.
- VISIT the Cape Columbine LIGHTHOUSE. Open Mon to Fri (excl. public holidays) 10am – 3pm
- EXPLORE the surrounding area with an informative and scenic BEACH BUGGY ride with local aficionado Deon Cell: 072 402 1829 Email:
- EAT at WOLFGAT voted the ‘Best Restaurant of the Year 2019’ by the World Restaurant Awards and experience a taste adventure with seasonally foraged Strandveld (only found on this coast line) dishes prepared and styled with flair by internationally renowned chef Kobus van der Merwe. Bookings can only made online https://www.wolfgat.co.za/
- PACK a backpack and head up Langstrand for an early morning sunrise beach walk towards the Groot Paternoster Nature Reserve, approximately 7kms. *You might spot some dolphins!
6. PICK-UP some home-made chicken pies, deli meals, organic veggies or other goodies from THE PATERNOSTER XPRESSTel: 022 752 2627 *Also great for any necessities like toothpaste, ice and milk.
8. INDULGE in the delectable tiramisu or chai cake at MONDVOL with friendly service and good food in a country setting. Tel: 073 939 0186
10. SPOT a Whale or three. The calm and protective St. Martins Bay is the perfect nursery for females to have their calves and often huge pods can be seen from Bek Bay and the Main Paternoster Beach.
11. ROMANCE the person in your life and order a picnic basket from Dee to take to BEKBAAI BEACH while you watch the Sunset over the rocks & ocean Cell: 0633042237 E-mail: /">
12. DIP into luscious local oysters & mussels and other deliciousness at the quirky and oh so cool NOISY OYSTER. Bookings are essential Tel: 022 752 2196
14. IMMERSE yourself in art, beauty and culture as you cruise the PATERNOSTER ART ROUTE meeting the creative locals and maybe take a little something of the magic of Paternoster art home. Find exhibitions and artists at work @ The Shed at The Paternoster Crayfish Wharf.
15. BRAAI at Tietiesbaai! Pack your cooler, braai grid and head to the beautiful rugged Tietiesbaai in the CAPE COLUMBINE NATURE RESERVE for a lekker braai. (Entry into nature reserve costs approximately R15 per person)
16. FORGET about time as you build a carefully planned sandcastle with the kids, family or friends and watch it wash away as the tide comes in.
17. PADDLE out between the rocks to see visiting seabirds, penguins and see Paternoster from a different angle with KAYAK PATERNOSTER Tel: 083 795 4198 (Departure point from Paternoster Crayfish Wharf)
18. EAT tasty & super fresh take-away Vis & Tjips at ON THE ROCKS at the Fish Market complex on the main beach Tel: 083 988 1380
19. BUY anything including hardware, gas, antiques, fishing gear and flip flops at the general dealer THE PATERNOSTER TRADING POST Tel: 084 510 6503
20. TRY out the yummy Burgers or Seafood at the iconic Red-Roofed VOORSTRANDT RESTAURANT while watching your kids play right on the Paternoster Beach front Tel: 022 752 2038
22. POP-IN at OEP VE KOEP – Die Winkel op Paternoster for West Coast produce, wine and more. This is also the sister restaurant to Wolfgat and chef Adel Hughes serves up a tasty and unique strandveld menu daily Tel: 022 752 2105
23. BE BEAUTIFUL with a fresh hair-do or a snazzy cut & blow at Le Notre Pere with Hennie Tel: 083 295 6181
24. EXPERIENCE a full-on sensory meal with a view at LEETO. Try the Risotto & some bubbly – you won’t be sorry. Located at Strandloper Ocean Boutique Hotel Tel: 060 927 0403
25. PICK-UP some scrumptious Black Fig & Black Pepper or Orange & Ginger Jam, Funky Ouma spices and pretty pink sheepskin slippers to take home for Granny at JEM & PANTOFFELS Tel: 082 783 1808
26. SIP a deliciously stylish cocktail & classy curry at THE HUNGRY MONK at The Crayfish Wharf Cell: 087 077 0394
27. CREATE a unique leather item for yourself or a gift at a MATTAT LEATHER workshop at The Paternoster Crayfish Wharf contact Erika Cell: 082 853 9472 email:
28. ENJOY a chilled glass of wine, a picture perfect view and wonderfully tasty meals prepared by chef Jaco Kruger at GAATJIE Tel: 022 752 2242
29. SELECT some chilli sauces, fudge, Turkish jewellery or eclectic décor items at TUMBLEWEED contact Tel: 084 240 0630
30. HIT the Gin bar at BENGUELA BLUE and order a tapas platter to share Cell: 079 969 6452
31. CRACK open an ice-cold Paternoster Pilsner, our very own local artisanal brew, serving refreshing Muti G&T’s on tap with trimmings, the three Paternoster Beers (Pilsner, Weiss & Honey Porter), an alcohol-free sparking Honey & Rooibos and pizza, if you feel like a snack! Email:
33. RELAX at BLIKKIE PIZZERIA, take a sip of your Darling slow beer, enjoy a delicious wood-fired pizza and be sure to order your soft serve ice cream for dessert Tel: 079 598 8616 *Great view, kids play area and TV for the big game!
34. DAWDLE through the SHELL SHOP at the Paternoster Hotel for perfect sea-side souvenirs and gifts. TEL: 022 752 2703
35. ORDER a home-style breakfast, lunch or dinner with a fantastic view in the middle of the village at the RESTAURANT at THE PATERNOSTER LODGE Tel: 022 752 2023
36. LISTEN out for the eerie and nostalgic FOGHORN on misty mornings floating across from the Cape Columbine Lighthouse.
37. SATISFY your craving for fresh & delicious sushi at DE SEE KAT – the view is also a winner. Tel: 072 343 9793
38. BROWSE through the quirky and contemporary treasures of jewellery, décor, scarves and much more at MANEKI
39. TUCK into elegant and delicious gourmet fare overlooking Bekbaai at The RESTAURANT at ABALONE Guesthouse Tel: 022 752 2023
40.DESIGN and get creative stamping and designing your own platter with Pam from PB Ceramics email:
41. DIG-IN to a decadent Waffle and scrummy milkshake from WAFFLE WHARF located at the Paternoster Crayfish Wharf. Tel: 064 426 0146
42. GET ENERGISED and hike in and around Paternoster, spot tortoises and birds with tour guide and local Bruce Cell: 082 488 0680 .
43. WATCH the Rugby with your favourite tipple and a wood-fired pizza at WHALES RIB at The Crayfish Wharf. Tel: 064 426 0146
44. FIND a quiet spot and do some serious bird-watching with a hopeful heart to spot the endangered Black Oystercatcher and more than 350 other species of bird life found on the West Coast
45. TAKE a seat at the legendary PATERNOSTER HOTEL, centrally located for great stoep-sitting while watching the village and its people go by. Tel: 022 752 2703
46. POP by the infamous PANTY BAR, meet locals and gawk at the interesting, ahem, displays. *definitely a favourite ‘I was here’ Insta worthy moment.
47. SHOP for all your Braai essentials meat, artisan breads, snacks, biltong and chocolates at BENGUELA BLACK Meat & Deli Tel: 065 120 1694
48. ENJOY a fun evening of Karaoke and the beach bar vibe at SEEKOMBUIS Tel: 072 258 9041
49. GET your favourite Granadilla fruit lolly and some handmade clothes made of natural and fabulous fabrics at ANCIENT SPIRIT / www.ancientspirit.co.za
50. SPOIL yourself with some authentic West Coast Street food, such as Smoorsnoek, Vetkoek & Curry Mince, Tripe & Trotters, Oxtail or Fish Cakes at OUMA SE KOMBUIS situated in the main road, next to Tumbleweed. Tel: 084 800 1991
51. BUY your Bokkom-fix at the Fish Market and take your time to carefully peel and taste the West Coast on your tongue.
52. WATCH in total awe how the moon rises over the bay and be reminded of how beautifully the universe was created and how blessed we all are.
53. LAST but not least… to start ticking off all your Paternoster Bucket List items you will need somewhere fantastic to stay. Book online now at www.stayinpaternoster.co.za, drop us an email at or call us on 022 752 2048 or 083 204 1051.
A few last insider top tips…
*Always book for Restaurants & Experiences in advance to avoid disappointment.
*Take along a jacket, the weather on the coast changes all the time and we can experience 4 seasons in one day.
*Keep your Camera/smart phone full charged to take advantage of all the beauty.
*Make sure you are careful with your valuables – out of sight is the best policy to limit temptation.
*Have fun & make memories to remember with family & friends, these are the things that count!
From our Blog
Five things Paternoster is doing to make your visit amazing and safe!
It has been said that one of the best ways to deal with change is to adapt and look for the best in a situation and that is what many of the businesses and locals in Paternoster are currently doing in response to the Covid-19 virus situation.
It’s that magical time of year again when the fields and sidewalks all over the Paternoster burst into a beautiful display of flowers.
It’s early autumn and one of those perfectly temperate days in Paternoster. We are taking on a Beach Buggy excursion with Deon van Schalkwyk.
Catch up on ALL the latest news from your favorite little West Coast Dorpie from Wolfgat to What to do in the school holidays with the kids…
This past Sunday we enjoyed the hospitality of Sanita van der Merwe at Oep ve Koep and an amazing langtafel lunch prepared by the stylish and talented Isabella Niehaus. What a treat…what a LEKKERTE!