We are often asked “So what IS there to do in Paternoster?”
I have been working on some insider tips to make the best of your visit. Here are the Top 35! *Everything below can be done within a 10km radius of your favourite little West Coast Dorpie.
- GRAB a cup of delicious Truth coffee and a Pasteis de Nata under the Manatoka trees at JUNK & DISORDERLY opposite the Stay in Paternoster office. *Be tempted by the variety of Charcuterie produce and sour dough bread!
- VISIT the Cape Columbine LIGHTHOUSE open Mon to Fri (excluding public holidays) 10am – 3pm
- EXPLORE the surrounding area with an adventurous BEACH BUGGY ride with local aficionado Deon Cell: 072 402 1829 Email:
- TRY the tasty home-made Chicken pies, Ciabatta bread and daily deli meals from THE PATERNOSTER EXPRESS Tel: 022 752 2627 *Also great for any necessities like toothpaste, ice and milk.
- TREAT yourself to a well-deserved massage or facial at PATERNOSTER DUNES BEAUTY CLINIC Tel: +27 22 752 2217 Email:
- INDULGE in a delectable coffee and cake or quiche at MONDVOL every Wednesday for R45! We recommend the Lemon Meringue and honestly, go any day 🙂 for friendly service and good food in a country setting. Tel: 073 939 0186
- RIDE a horse along the beautiful Langstrand Beach with Ronel at DRIKUS HORSE TRAILS Cell: 082 748 5596 E-mail:
- ROMANCE the heck out of your love and sip a sundowner on BEKBAAI BEACH while you watch the Sunset over the rocks & ocean.*NB Take your camera!
- DIP into luscious local oysters & mussels and other deliciousness at the quirky and oh so cool NOISY OYSTER bookings are essential Tel: 022 752 2196
- STRETCH & BREATHE it all out with our local Yoga instructor Shirley Tel:074 874 2221
- GET HITCHED! ELOPE! we have just the place, it’s sooooo Romantic and just all-round fabulous at GELUKKIE Email:
- PACK a picnic and walk along LANGSTRAND beach all the way to the Groot Paternoster Nature Reserve approximately 7km (one way).*If you are lucky you will spot the Dolphins frolicking and go early because sunrise is spectacular from this vantage point!
- TUCK into some authentic Weskus home-cooking like Groenboontjiebredie, Pêrevoetpie & Smoorsnoek at OUMA SE KOMBUIS Tel: 084 800 1991
- PADDLE out between the rocks to see visiting seabirds, penguins & Paternoster from a different angle with KAYAK PATERNOSTER Tel: 082 584 1907
- EAT tasty & fresh Take-away Vis & Tjips at ON THE ROCKS at the Fish Market complex on the main beach Tel:083 988 1380
- WORK UP A SWEAT with our local Pilates instructor Frank Tel: 084 624 1607
- BUY anything from nails, fishing gear, scrummy samosas & curry mussels to flip flops at general dealer THE TRADING POST on the right hand side of the main road. Tel: 0845106503
- TRY out the yummy Burgers or Surf & Turf at the distinctive & iconic Red-Roofed VOORSTRANDT RESTAURANT right on the Paternoster Beach front Tel: 022 752 2038
- COLLECT Sea Glass and take a Flamework class to make a memorable piece of Jewellery at FLEUR DELYSE GLASS STUDIO Email:
- POP-IN at OEP VE KOEP for west coast produce, wine and more…They bake farm bread daily and as a treat stay for lunch and try the Cheese Platter with infamous Bokkom Butter, you are welcome 😉 *Get there early for the bread! Tel: 022 752 2105
- BE BEAUTIFUL with a fresh hair-do or a snazzy cut & blow at Le Notre Pere with Hennie Tel:083 295 6181
- TASTE adventurous, unusual and seasonally foraged Strandveld (only found on this coast line) dishes prepared and styled with flair by internationally renowned chef Kobus van der Merwe at WOLFGAT Email:
- PICK-UP some enticing sounding Black Fig & Black Pepper or Orange & Ginger Jam and pretty pink sheepskin sleepers to take home for Granny at JEM & PANTOFFELS Tel:082 783 1808
- COOK UP A STORM enjoy the lavish meal afterwards at NOSTRA DE PADRE with Italian Cooking Classes run by Uro & Sven Email:
- CREATE a unique leather item yourself at a MATTAT LEATHER WORKSHOP held at Jem & Pantoffels email:
- SIP & ENJOY a chilled glass of wine, a picture perfect view and wonderful meals prepared by chef Jaco Kruger at GAATJIE Tel: 022 752 2242
- SHOP at many of the quirky and quaint village stores and look for pretty things, jewellery & antiques at THE DUNE SHOP, PANTINA BAZAAR & MANEKI all located along St. Augustine the Main Road through Paternoster.
- BREW your own artisanal beer on a hands-on course in Beer making with PATERNOSTER BREWERY Email:
- BROWSE and admire art and pottery from local and other artists at STONEFISH STUDIO & GALLERY and AT BOTHA ART GALLERY also both located along the main road through the village.
- RELAX, take a sip of your beverage of choice and enjoy a delicious wood-fired pizza at the family-friendly BLIKKIE PIZZERIA Tel:079 598 8616 *one of the best views in town and live music on selected weekends!
- SATISFY your craving for fresh & delicious sushi at DE SEE KAT…the view is also a winner. Tel:082 445 5540
- DESIGN and get therapeutically creative while making your own platter with PAM BREYTENBACH POTTERY STUDIO Email:
- GET ENERGISED and hike through CAPE COLUMBINE NATURE RESERVE, an especially beautiful time is in spring (Aug & Sept) during the breath-taking West Coast Flower Season.
- WATCH the Rugby or just people watch at the local and legendary watering-hole THE PANTY BAR at THE PATERNOSTER HOTEL. Meet locals and gawk at the interesting ahem…displays. *definitely a favourite ‘I was here’ Instagram-able moment.
- LAST BUT NOT LEAST… FOLLOW US on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/accommodationinpaternoster/ and make sure you ENTER all our great competitions so you can come and STAY IN PATERNOSTER to start ticking off these bucket list experiences 🙂
A few additional insider tips…
*Always book for Restaurants & Experiences in advance to avoid disappointment
*Take along a jacket, the weather on the coast changes all the time and we can experience 4 seasons in one day.
*Keep your camera/smart phone full charged to take advantage of all the beauty
*Make sure you are careful with your valuables – out of sight is the best policy to limit temptation.
*Smile & make memories to remember with family & friends…these are the things that count!
Written by Fran Hepburn for Stay in Paternoster